Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Where I Went Wrong By: ADP

Warning: If you have a weak stomach, do not read this while eating.

My thumb still itches like hell, but it is finally healing, nearly 8 weeks after the slice that changed me forever. While dressing it for the 85th time last night, I evaluated my actions with this here wound and thought about what changes I would make, if I am the unluckiest person on earth and I do this to myself again.
  1. When I ran my thumb across the razor-sharp Pampered Chef blade, ran to the sink and saw my bone, my choice should have been to go to the ER.

  2. The wound seemed to be healing fairly well after a week or so. So, I made the decision to participate in the Easter confetti egg fight, which included egg shells made out of titanium. Wound split open.

  3. I cleaned it several times a day with hydrogen peroxide, which does clean wounds, but should only be used on the first cleaning, as it eats healthy skin. Use saline solution.

  4. I slathered it in Neosporin several times a day, despite a known family allergy to the salve. When it itched like poison ivy, I continued to rub it all over my thumb. I did this until I showed Little Sis, who also has the allergy, and was prescribed some wicked-awesome magic skin grower. She shared it with me less than a week ago and miraculously, my thumb is almost back to normal.

  5. Did I mention that I should have figured out the Neosporin allergy sooner?!

My thumb still has "new skin," so I am protecting it with the largest bandages that are made, latex-free if you must know, because I am also allergic to latex. But, I can bend it and it is no longer a pink oozing mess. You've got to appreciate the little things.

Over Memorial Weekend, the beach house we stayed in had a Pampered Chef Devil Mandolin. I almost threw theirs away as well. My stomach cringes just thinking about it. Eeek.

2 comments:

stephaniezamora said...

goodness woman...glad you are healing.

Audra said...

It is miracle cream! Glad it worked.