Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I Like my Girls a Little Bit Older

If you are already humming, you may have already experienced what I am about to detail.

Months ago, one of the hip-hop stations in ATX went off the air. In its place, a tejano station was born. I, like Zeus, am an old dog and cannot learn new tricks. Instead of reprogramming the station, I left it alone. With each car ride comes a constant changing of the radio stations, thanks to the conveniently located buttons on my steering wheel. That tejano station was tricky. It played songs that were originally recorded in English, but have been translated into Spanish. I so easily was fooled and found myself listening to words I could mostly not understand.

A few weeks ago, KP replaced the battery in the Honda. This left me with no radio; they call it theft protection. I had to call Honda and get them to give me a secret code that allowed me to turn my radio back on. (Do people still steal factory radios?) After breaking the invisible barrier into my sound machine, all of my favored stations were lost, as was the tejano station. I programmed all of my buttons again, opting to leave that tricky one out, but one button was remained. I programmed the mix station.

For days the mix station has been luring me in. It is pleasant. I know the words to the songs. Memories flood my mind with each new ballad. But there is nothing new. I mean NOTHING. There is nothing hip. There is nothing that cool me would want to listen to.

I felt fooled by a radio station once again. In the split second it takes for me to lift my thumb to press the button to take me to some Beyonce or All American Rejects, these lyrics filled my car and my mind, "Josie's on a vacation far away, Come around and talk it over. So many things that I wanna say, You know I like my girls a little bit older."

I AM OLDER. While coolness is self-judged, I firmly believe, I am the mix station crowd. Don't get me wrong, I am not anywhere ready to give up on pop and hip hop, but I think I can enjoy the mix station too. If you feel me, even just a little bit (or you are still confused about the song that rocked my day), please enjoy:


1 comment:

stephaniezamora said...

AH, I love that song! Hello, mix 96.5.