Thursday, December 18, 2008

An Old Dog Cannot Learn New Tricks


I have a terrible habit of letting the dogs sleep in the bed. In fact, this was one of the main reasons we got a king-sized bed. I love having the dogs all snuggled up. KP, on the other hand, hates it 95% of the time. So, the pugs all cuddle up to me. Good think I have created enough body mass to give them each a spot. Zeus is our fist pug. He is now seven. His hyperactivity changed to stubborn lethargy years ago. He is the alpha and everyone else knows it.

When we first got Zeus, he would sleep on my head or neck. This I did not enjoy. I am a side-sleeper, so Zeus soon moved to stretch out along my chest and stomach. I held him just like a teddy bear. Then we got Gus. I think Zeus was thankful to have a brother and allowed Gus to take over his prized spot in bed. Zeus moved to my knee pits. Imagine it: I am lying in bed, fetal position, Gus snuggled to my chest and Zeus snuggled to my legs. Makes for very warm, toss-n-turn free sleeping.
Every few hours, Zeus has to come out from under the bedding. He gets so hot when covered with layers of sheets, blankets, and comforters, that he can't catch his breath. He goes straight to his knee pit spot, except on top of the bedding. When he finally cools off, he nudges his way back to warmth.

Then, Mac came along. Mac is a different breed, well not really, but he might as well be. He has no particular spot, except that it has to be as close to KP or me as possible.

Last night, something strange happened. As Zeus was moving to his cool spot, Gus suddenly snuck in and took Zeus' warm spot. Zeus found himself lost. He circled the bed for a minute or so looking for a place to land, and finally ended up directly on top of Mac. I tried to encourage him to lay down in his original, now Gus', position, but he was having none of that.

At this point, I look up to see that it is 3 am and I have the sudden, strong desire to be asleep. Quickly, I dig under the covers, scoop Gus out, lift Zeus off of Mac, shove Zeus back to his desired nest, pull Gus back to me, and thrust my head back onto the pillow. Ahh, 4 additional hours of rest.

That Zeus, he's just as bull headed as his mama.

Wondering where KP was? Asleep on the couch. Why, you ask. Because he refuses to shower. Please give him shit.

3 comments:

stephaniezamora said...

oh our evenings are so similar...

Jamie said...

Wow! I have one kitten and a sneezy husband and am often woken up at 3 a.m. by the loudest sneeze you've ever heard or a kitten on my face.

Eva said...

HA HA HA! As someone who could live in the shower I will plan an attack.
(You know the little bugger doesn't give a flip though and probably never will.)