Monday, February 16, 2009

Dating makes me nervous.

Of course you know I am not talking about myself. I haven't been on a first date in nearly a decade, scary. I am talking about Little Sis dating. She's trying it all, including online dating, being set up, and going out with people she meets at bars and social events. We all know how easy it is to keep hanging out with the same people or even to give exes another chance because meeting new people is hard, even in a city of four million. I am proud of her for getting outside of her comfort zone with the hope of meeting someone new.

But, this dating is taking a toll on me. She calls from the bathroom with cryptic messages like, "he's wasted" or "he's not at all what I expected." What did you expect and how is he different? Is he a huge liar who's going to steal you?

Last week, Little Sis encouraged me to go on her online profile and read her correspondence. In one email, she wrote to a future date, "I hope you aren't a serial killer!" WHAT?! If you don't know enough about someone, you shouldn't meet them, right? Wrong. Even people married to serial killers don't know their spouses are hunting people for kicks.

Last night after a date with a different prospect she said, "He got really drunk, his friends were secretly sitting behind us the entire time, and he said things that I have to sleep on before making up my mind about him." All of this was in slurred speech which made me even more nervous. Is he gone? Was he following her? Ugh!

I know Little Sis is smart about where she goes, always taking her car, leaving at a decent hour, etc. That said, it still makes me nervous. I stay up waiting for her post-date calls.

So enough, I know this is the age of Internet love and I should calm down, but Little Sis, please don't stop calling me post-date. I have become your neurotic third Mother. I am sorry.

To catch up on Little Sis' dating adventures, click on the link to Aud Girl Out's blog on the right.

2 comments:

Kori said...

If it makes you feel any better, I did somewhat screen the guy she met up with on Sunday. Although, my screening happened through slurred speech at 1am the evening they first met.

I'd like to think I have a bit of experience in this arena and, to date, have only had to call the cops on one date. And, that was in Lubbock so it hardly even counts!

Audra said...

You think you're nervous! I am the one that is calling you from the bathroom, requesting that random bartenders make sure I dont get abducted! I promise I am careful. I will update the blog tonight.

Kori, I want to hear about this cop calling date!