Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Practice, Dammit.

This past weekend, KP and I had the pleasure of attending a beautiful wedding on Lake Travis. The bride and groom looked great, the ceremony included a Italian soloist, and the view was spectacular. We sat with a group of my former co-workers, had nice conversation, a few drinks, and good food. Then came the part KP and I have learned to dread, the toasts. The best man lightly dogged on the groom, but had very nice things to say to the new couple; his speech lasted about 3 minutes. That's what I call perfection. The maid-of-honor, on the other hand, did not share the best man's poise and grace. She stood on the side lines, while one of the bride's best friends got up to speak. After making fun of the the maid's social anxiety, the friend went on to make quite an uncomfortable speech. It included details of the bride and groom's meeting on the Internet, how the groom wasn't actually interested in the bride for quite a while, information about previous relationships, and phrases including black ice heart.

To be fair, the bride is a very funny, snarky (as she would say) person. While it was actually fitting, it was more appropriate for a bachelorette party than the wedding reception.

This toast went on for at least 10 minutes. KP nervously readjusted his tie, cuffs, and sleeves, the entire time. I sat with my napkin over my mouth. I will admit that we are people who change the channel on the television when someone does something embarrassing, so we are not the best gauge. Others seemed less uncomfortable, but not comfortable, per se.

Anyway, I cam straight home, called Kurtis to make sure I did not offend her when I gave her toast, thought about the only other toasts I have given, and then about this post.

Here are my tips for people who must give toasts at weddings:
  • Practice in front of an audience and take constructive criticism
  • Do not mention past relationships or break-ups/arguments
  • Mention both the bride and the groom, even if you only know one well
  • It's about them! Make the toast about them too.
  • Keep it short
  • Practice again

That's it.

7 comments:

stephaniezamora said...

OMG, I totally change the channel when something uncomfortable is about to happen! I thank goodness every day that I have not had to do "the speech" at anyones wedding (even though it is an honor, of course).

Jamie said...

I was so nervous during Crystal's, and I don't even have a problem with public speaking. You just want to make sure to do the couple justice. I think when people get in hot water it's because the speech is too much about the speaker trying to be funny, different, etc...

Audra said...

I sucked at yours. I think I was drunk. AWESOME. I felt like you were talking to me. :)

Eva said...

please post these tips somewhere the public will see it! I have heard some of the worst speeches,I think the worst included talking about the groom throwing up out of the car window while the best man was driving down the highway. What part of that says I'm ready to be a grown up?!
Oh and Jamies speech was good. Our group has done well as far as I can remember. Amy yours at Allisons wedding was good too

adp said...

Thanks. Yes, Jamie your was good. Aud, yours was good too. Oh, and I think I was hurling paper at people at the table at my own reception, so if you were drunk, i didn't notice. All of the sudden I am craving Mexico...

Audra said...

5X's was my key phrase. HaHa.

adp said...

I thought it was 5 months or something like that.