Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Stupid Human, I mean Dog, Tricks

Dogs, like humans, derive many of their character and physical traits from their parents. Zeus is not different from any other child. He has allergies, like his Mom and Dad. He has a little weight issue, like his Mom. He has a serious case of neuroses, just like his Mom.

Since he came into our lives, we have known that Zeus has an unhealthy obsession with the flashlight. About once a week, we get it out and let him chase the light, many times with Gus clinging to Zeus' tail, playing a game of his own. Zeus is so in love with the flashlight that he perks up every time he hears the word or words with similar sounds. When we want to try and use a flashlight without attracting his attention, we speak of it in terms such as the portable thing that illuminates or the bright stick in the basket. When we want to get Zeus all geared up for his light chasing, we ask him things like, "Zeus, want your crack pipe? Where's the bat flight?" We know it's not right, but it entertains us as well.

Tonight, KP is "fixing" a cabinet in our kitchen. I am not sure what's wrong with it, but I am sure it will work much better tomorrow. He has been using the flashlight to look into the dark expanse of serving dishes, Pyrex, and random appliances in order to see the "issue." Zeus has been by KP's side diligently waiting his for his time with the magical illuminating stick. When KP ran out into the garage for some screws, this is what I found:


And then, because he humored me with multiple pictures, I gave in to his addiction:

For the record, as I played this video back before publishing, Zeus jumped on to the couch to see if I had his beloved flashlight. He's still on guard.

2 comments:

Audra said...

Oh my dog nephew. I love my Zeus! He rules. Oh and can I get snake bite...sort of rhymes. I want to go out...

stephaniezamora said...

Oh, that made me laugh so hard my office mate came to see what the fun is all about. BTW, the Paczosas donated one of those awesome crack pipes to the Izzy fund and she is almost as entertaining as Zeus. Thanks guys!