Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Tale of Two Closets

I am taking a break from my "New Me" posts this week. I owe this self-imposed hiatus to the fact that I ate like a boar at the beach and refuse to get on a scale until next week. So there.

Instead of sharing my health and weight short-comings, I will share one that is rarely known about me. I am a closeted mess. Literally. Our house generally looks neat. There are always a slew of recyclable bags on a dining room chair, little pug bunny balls of hair in the corners, and shoes by the front door, but generally speaking, our house is clean and tidy. Except for one place. My closet.

A few months ago I filled a huge plastic bag with clothing that no longer fits over my right thigh, much less both thighs, tank tops that only have string in the back, and dresses that no longer cover my rear. A real classy youngin I was. Around the same time I made a pile of my dry cleaning, which is really known as those clothes I forget I have because I refuse to pay someone else to "clean" them and when I do they come back smelling more like B.O. and much less like my detergent. Because of the piles on my closet floor, I have begun to throw other things down in there...It's already dirty, what's the harm in a little more?

For weeks, KP has been chastising me to clean it. He refuses to put my clean laundry away (his part of the never-ending clothes cleaning process). He now hangs my clothes on the closet door.
Today I saw my mess for what it is. I was only able to understand the confusion I had created by comparing it to a clean space. When I walked into KP's closet to check on the status of his one and only suit for a wedding this week end, I felt refreshed. Nothing on the floor. Nothing in piles. Boxes and shoes lined up. WOW! It made me want to lay on the floor in the center of his closet and move my arms up and down in hopes of making carpet angels. There is that much room.

So without further adieu, here are our closets:

Yes, our extra crystal and Christmas boxes live in his closet. There's no room in mine.

I am going to pick it up right now. Stop judging me.

2 comments:

Audra said...

Wow get your life together!

Byman said...

My closet is worse than that. Try getting ready while your 1 year old dumps out your sock basket, cleaning, and dirty clothes. I'm pretty sure a sock and undies went to the dry cleaner last week.