Wednesday, April 22, 2009

New Me: Week 5 - It was Bound to Happen

Bad news first: I gained a pound. One measly pound is haunting me on the scale. Oh freaking well...and here's why:

Disclaimer: this may make you uncomfortable if you are of the male type. If you have a wife or a long-term girlfriend who shares with you, then you will probably be okay, but if you are single, this is going to be way too much information.

I started my period! It's only technically been since December 2008. No joke. I am bloated and crabby, and as pimply as a teenage boy in the summertime in Houston. My uterus screamed to claw its way down and out of my body for days. My pants were tighter than usual (like that clarification?) and I just kept waiting. Yesterday when I discovered the good news, I sent an email to a few friends I recently discussed the never-ending wait for womanhood with. (Subject: I started. Body of email: .) Hip, Hip Hooray.

Now, I know many ladies right now that are wondering why on Earth I would want a visit from an old friend that would make me so uncomfortable and unstable. Well, it's a sign that my body does not hate me anymore. So, I'll take it. (ask me on Saturday if I am still enjoying this though.)

Another reason I gained a pound is that I was a terrible Weight Watchers Member. On that note, I so wish WW had a motto and hand symbol like in Girl Scouts. If only every time I was about to raise a bite of mac and cheese to my mouth, another member could just flash the sign and remind me of my loyalties (and financial obligation to pay for the service). Until then, I will have to make a more concerted effort to do well. Here's where I go wrong: Once I know I have blown the points, I stop counting. That's when I need to count the most. Any suggestions for staying on track?

My exercising is going great though. I jogged 2 miles yesterday! I started jogging just last week and pushed myself farther and farther. Each day I have to have a goal. Yesterday, I set it at 1.5 miles and then just kept going. If you would like a visual: When I "jog," I set the treadmill at 4.6, which forces me to move my legs just faster than a walk. After a few minutes, my face is red and my body is dripping in sweat, even on the tops of my hands--gross. My shorts stick to my legs and I mouth the words to the hip hop playlist I made just for my new exercise routine. I look nice, but I keep on trekking. 2 miles!

My commitment this week: I will continue exercising 3-4 times a week. I will track my food, even if I go over. I am a little concerned with tracking my drinks this weekend, as I am attending a bachelorette party, but I will do my best. Hopefully I will see some downward movement then.

I've got some real estate updates; I'll share in a couple of days. Off to work.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Yay! So pumped for this weekend. I bought the best book to help you stay on track - SkinnyGirl by Bethanny Frankel from Real Housewives. I know it's cheesy, but she's super skinny and has solid advice for not blowing it when you overeat. That's where my weak point is too. I'm either perfect or I just say who cares! Buy it online at Amazon.com.

adp said...

she also says not to drink. i threw that book out of the window! :)

Jamie said...

No! She invented the SkinnyGirl margarita.