Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Running

The "running" I mentioned below has become a bit of an obsession. Big Sis told me that I should be running 5 minutes on and 1 minute off, in order to build endurance. Today I did this for a full hour, including five minute warm ups and cool downs. All together, I moved just over four miles. This on/off, run/walk is so much easier than running for 30 minutes straight, which it how long it took me to go 2.5 miles last Friday.

Anyone have beginning running tips?


I have one: if you are my size or larger and your thighs rub together when you run, wear pants or use Anti-Monkey Butt. I am not kidding, though I wish I was. What's Anti-Monkey Butt you ask? I think it's just fancy talc powder. My Mom gave it to KP as a joke for Christmas, or was that Santa? Anyway, it does the trick. I know, can you believe I am sharing all of this with strangers? Ha.

My favorite thing about this powder is the image on the bottle:



Hopefully with this new hobby, my thighs will be significantly smaller and will no longer cause fire inducing friction. Or conjure up images of a swollen monkey's behind. A girl can dream.

I know you're dying for my real estate updates, but the old saying, "don't count your chickens before they hatch," keeps popping into my mind. And on that note, I'll wait until I am a little closer to closing.

5 comments:

Lauren Smith said...

I have tons of running tips for you....I will trade you for destination wedding tips :-) Good for you Amy. By the way, what you Big Sis is talking about is called the Galloway Method. It can be altered as you get further in your training. Let's talk. Before you know it, it will become a way of life. Well done.

stephaniezamora said...

Awesome babe! good for you!

Kori said...

Are you running on a treadmill or outside? Sorry, I'm just asking out of curiosity and not bc I have any tips!

adp said...

treadmill. the weather has been supa crummy. plus, i can regulate it more and watch the clock.

lauren, congrats! yes, let's trade tips.

Maple said...

That's so funny! I have a total love/hate relationship with running. I hate it til about a mile in, but when I don't do it I get super antsy cause I miss the adrenaline. I LOVE my polar heart rate monitor and really recommend one. It helps me make sure I'm not overexerting myself (which leads to me quitting too soon). My #1 tip is to sign up for every race you hear about- training for 5Ks is pretty easy and it gives you a good excuse plus tons of free swag at the end!