Friday, January 22, 2010

37 Weeks: Swiss Chard

Nash is as long as a bunch of Swiss chard or about 19 inches. He should also be about 6 1/3 lbs.

He's moving and making his presence known quite a bit. He stretches out in all directions and makes my huge belly look even more deformed.

We went to the doc again this morning for another check. Not very dilated. Nash seems to have dropped some, which we were kind of suspecting last night. My blood tests from yesterday came back and all is great on that front. We're still waiting on the results of the second 24-hour urine test, which should come in this afternoon.

Basically there are two paths we have chosen: 1) If the test comes back positive for preeclampsia, I will be induced next week. Because my body is not showing signs of wanting to push a watermelon through a lemon, my chances of a c-section are at about 30%. I do not like these odds. 2) If the test comes back negative, we will let him bake and we will continue to closely monitor my blood pressure and have WEEKLY 24-hour urine tests.

We had a third option and that was to induce regardless of the test results. KP and I both agree that with the Cesarean rate as high as it is this early, we will no go this route. Don't get me wrong, I am ready as a racehorse at a starting gate to get this baby out, but we want to make decisions based on rationality, not because I am feeling huge. Yes, that's the only word in the English dictionary that describes how I feel.

I cried at the doctor's office yesterday when I thought that the fetal non-stress test was not being conducted correctly. Seems Nash was just sleeping and I was having no contractions, but the results were so different from last week that it freaked me out.

After I explained my minor breakdown to Midge, so very sweetly suggested that it's okay to ask to medicine to help regulate my moods, if necessary. I told her I didn't think I was there yet. I can tell you though, this waiting on results to make game-changing decisions is taking it's toll on the psyche. I am a little coo-coo.

KP suggested this morning that we dress Zeus up and take him to our appointment in the stroller. I told him that I thought they would not only prescribe me meds, but that they might also commit me. With the thought of getting me out of the house (and away from him), KP was eager to continue with this 4-legged plan , but luckily Zeus wasn't having it! No insane asylum for me today.

So, we continue to wait.

Me and Nash, +39 lbs, 37 weeks, 5 days. Check out how my sweater doesn't even come close to covering the under side of my belly!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crystal said...

That's a big baby belly! I think you look great! I'm glad the first blood test came back normal, and hope the second does as well. Either way, he'll be here before you know it. I can't wait to see him!!!!

I was cracking up at the idea of Zeus in clothes in the stroller. (I'm cracking up as I type it too!) Can you please do that anyway for a pic :) Thanks.

stephaniezamora said...

Oh oh oh, I hated when nothing covered my belly. Someone told me that the last bit of P was so hard because what came after was so great. I honestly thought that never made sense but I do agree that what came after was great.
I must say you look and seem much happier than I did at the end. I don't think a picture exists of me smiling.

Eva said...

You look great! It will all be over - actually just beginning - very soon!

Stevens said...

that is a giant baby!