Thursday, December 31, 2009

34 Weeks: A Large Cantaloupe

According to our bulletin, a large cantaloupe weighs about 4 3/4 lbs! I can't believe that my little shrimp is finally gaining some weight. He's also about 18 inches long.

I can feel him everywhere. His movements can be seen grazing across my belly. He's a busy dude. He prefers kicking, stretching, and wiggling, but he throws some punches down toward my pelvis sometimes too. What a sweet boy!

We went to the doctor yesterday for our last 2-week appointment. Beginning next week, I will go every week and start getting "checked." I hear that this is less than pleasant, but I will share the gory details only after I finally get to have a glass of wine or beer.

My blood pressure was a little high yesterday. They took some blood to make sure that all of my organs are still functioning properly, but they did not seem overly concerned. If it is high again next week, we will talk about a different course of action (whatever that means), and if we still can't get it down, we might be meeting Nash sometime around January 20th (37 weeks). I am getting ahead of myself here, I know. Thankfully, he's a decent size and a few more weeks will give his lungs even more time to develop.

We did set up the bassinet this week, which our good dog Mac has already marked. I also found a coming home outfit, made some room in the kitchen for Nash's things, and packed our bag -- well partially anyway.

People keep asking if I am nervous, which of course I am, but not to the extent I thought I would be. I am just nervous about our guy's health and how I am going to pop him out, the latter to a lesser extent.

And finally, how I am feeling. In a word, HUGE. Nash is pretty much right out in front of me. My back only aches after a very long day. My feet hurt. I waddle. I am so thirsty. I cannot catch my breath. My heartburn is trying to turn my esophagus into a three-alarm house fire. And the tired is back, with a vengence. But this time it's different. I can't stand up for long periods of time, but sleeping is not quite as easy, and is interrupted every two or three hours with the need to pee.

I know that's the most complaining I have done on this here blog, but people, it's the reality of an 8 1/2 months pregnant woman. And honestly, there are other issues, but I can't have you all thinking of those in connetion to me. Again, maybe I will share when I get to have a drink.

In the last 2 weeks, I gained 1.8 lbs, according to my doc. I now stand at +32.5 pounds. Damn.

We rearranged the living room, once again, to make room in our bedroom for the baby.

A view from the top. Where'd my feet go?

3 comments:

Audra said...

I know you feel huge but you look AMAZING. I cant express enough how excited I am to meet the little guy.

stephaniezamora said...

I agree with Aud. You need to frame that belly photo, it is beautiful.

The Scott Family said...

I am a firm believer that the way our bodies act the last few months (ie.. the waking up a thousand times a night) is just preparing us to get up every TWO hours when you have a newborn.. otherwise we would yank every hair out one at a time b/c of no sleep :)
God just gives us a couple of months to "practice"..
so excited for you :)