Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009

I am not sure it is possible to write an end of the year post and not sound trite, but I'll take a stab at it anyway. If I fail, forgive me, my creative juices seem to be partially blocked by a giant bump in my belly.

This year may very well have been the most challenging and rewarding year of my life. I feel like I was tested to my limit in more than one instance and shown that I have the strength, support, and love around me to go forward.

We lost a baby in late February and I had surgery to complete that process in early March. That, my friends, was the hardest thing I have ever done. I have tears in my eyes as I type this, because I know that if we had that baby, we would not be having Nash. It's such a strange thought, but I know that we were spared something even more difficult and in return given a huge blessing. You could not have told me this at the time though. My pain was deep and caused me to sit against my bathroom door and sob many, many nights. Without KP's strength to pull me back up, literally, and ease me back into normal life, I fear I would still be a red-eyed, slobbery mess. Plus, he knocked me up again, and this time, our little Munchkin grew and grew, and is still growing.

On the job front, I had a great year, after a terrible 2008. With a little help from the Obama stimulus package, I had lots of great buyers, learned tons, and dealt with my best and worst clients. My patience has been tested, checked, and usually used to it's fullest. I will never forget the words of my old boss, "Amy, react before you respond." I am still practicing that.

KP's year job-wise has been a bit more challenging, but it seems that each of us was hit in separate years of this recession. Thankfully, it didn't all happen at once. Thankfully times two, we have great families that didn't let us starve. Plus, he's recently had a few super-cool opportunities and some new projects are slated for the new year.

On other fronts, this year also included coming much closer to completion on KP's parents' Austin home. Something about a grand-child and a bossy daughter-in law with a February deadline made things progress at a faster rate. We got to spend lots of time with our families; watching KP bond with our nephews literally warms my heart. Seeing him build and play with Luke and hold Davis makes me even more certain that he will be an amazing father. Mac, the youngest Pug, finally settled down and started acting like a Paczosa dog, though he still has to mark new things. Zeus and Gus continued to be perfect dogs for us, though we had a few health scares this year that made me realize that I love those four-legged children even more than I thought. We went to California and Iowa and spent great time with friends. We went to the beach, had a big fight (over hamburgers), found out I was pregnant, and the hormones started raging. In fact, those pesky hormones tested our marriage and my husband, who typically has the patience of a monk. I have more respect for him now than I ever have. He is a saint, but don't tell him. No, he still doesn't read this!

What made the rest of the year all worth it, is being 34 weeks pregnant with our first son: Nash. We cannot contain our excitement. We watch and feel for his movements, talk about what kind of person he will be, dream that he loves vegetables and all of our cheesiness. We brainstorm vacations at certain points of his life and make promises to each other about how we will be the best people and parents we can be so that he grows up to feel as loved, talented, smart, and worthy as KP and I do. That's a huge nod to our parents.

In 2010, I look forward to being a Mom, spending good time with our friends and families, meeting all of the 2010 babies that are on the horizon, selling some real estate, watching KP make more art, hopefully taking off this baby weight, having a glass of wine, and starting a new decade, as a little family of our own.

As I started this post, this year has been the most challenging and rewarding yet. I imagine with all that is slated for 2010, next year may take this description as well, but I am up for it. With all of your love and support, of course.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Audra said...

This is by far the best and most honest and powerful post. I love you. Next year will be so exciting. In 2010 you will have a baby boy and within that year you will see him change so much. A ride I am happy and excited I will be a part of.